Yes, the title is quite the declaration, but I stand by it!
Wednesdays in our home is breakfast for dinner night, and it often consists of bacon and eggs (and sometimes my husband adds in his southern homemade biscuits…so good your taste buds will never be the same after trying them for the first time). Bacon and eggs are my favorite any time of day since I became a Paleo-eating-machine, but one particular Wednesday I was craving Mexican food too. It was then that I decided to venture out to create chorizo with bacon and eggs dish inspired by my hispanic culture.
I took some ingredients from the fridge I thought would work, and began my baking and cooking adventure….. and then it happened… I slowly removed the pyrex container out of the oven for the last time, and I knew I had something my taste buds would be ecstatic about.
We thought so too, and every bite was heavenly Mexican food made in the south. All was well with our tummies. I mean, you have bacon, eggs, and chorizo in the same evening with a dose of fresh veggies. What else could one ask for?
Time: No more than 45 minutes.
Feeds 2 people.
– 1 large handful of freshly washed asparagus.
– 4 eggs
– 5 bacon strips
– 1 cup of spinach
– 2 1/2 tbsp of chopped cilantro
– 1/2 cup of canned organic, no salt sliced tomatoes
– 1/4 cup of beef or pork chorizo
– Generous pinches of sea salt, pepper, & chili powder
– 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional. not shown since my endeavor was sporadic, but highly recommended)
– Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
– Place bacon evenly across a 9×13 Pyrex and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
– Carefully remove bacon to a sheet of aluminum foil and fold in so they stay warm.
– Lay the asparagus evenly across the Pyrex and shake it a bit to soak in some bacon grease. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
– Cook chorizo on the stove over medium heat. Once lightly cooked, add in sliced tomatoes and mix. Once combined and lightly cooked, let sit over simmering heat.
– Once you have baked the asparagus, carefully place it in four equal intervals across the Pyrex, thus creating three open slots. Carefully crack the eggs into the slots. Top with sea salt, chili, and pepper. Bake for 3 minutes.
– Add in already baked bacon on top of the asparagus. Then add in the chorizo mix with spinach with a little more seasonings, and place in oven for another 3 minutes.
– Let cool for 5 minutes and add cilantro and avocado.